6/8/14

Simplify Your Life by Simplifying Your Thoughts

A friend told me they were planning to simplify their life to minimize stress. After thinking about this great idea, I realized I need to do the same thing but instead focus on simplifying my thoughts. One thing I've done in the past and need to start doing regularly to help with simplifying my thoughts is writing a list of everything on my mind.

For some reason, I tend to avoid writing lists, something I know is beneficial. Writing lists, when I am juggling a lot, would help me to stop juggling all of it in my mind, and instead just think about a couple things at a time because I would know I don't have to keep track of everything since it's all on paper. I'd get to each item when I get to it. There's something about when you put a thought or task on paper, it can safely leave the constant juggling of thoughts in your mind. I didn't realize how much energy and stress juggling so many things in my mind takes up and how much it taxes my mental sanity until I tried writing a list some time ago.

If a task or thought or problem seems too big to handle, try writing it down. Almost every time, it doesn't seem as daunting when it's written on paper. Then, you can make a point to stop the constant mental chatter for every single item on your list and allow yourself to only focus on a couple at a time.

This is such a simple idea, so simple that I usually blow it off and don't do it because I think, aw, I don't need to bother to write a list, I can manage it in my mind. Yet it's so very profound in how much it can improve mental health, and because stress and anxiety negatively affect your physical health, it helps that too!

Thanks friend for unintentionally reminding me, to start writing lists again!